Raina Nathair & the Electronic Quill

Raina Nathair's personal thoughts and bad puns/jokes as she navigates the choppy waters that her little lifeboat seems destined to rock upon forever.

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

Monday, March 24, 2008

Oh, joy. Just shoot me already.

Well, update.

Duran Duran concert? Deader than a doornail. Why? Because I had a fight with my best friend over the costs of the tickets. She's smoking something illegal if she thinks the CHEAP LAWN seats at Merriweather Post Pavilion would run (after 'taxes and stuff') over the $140 that I was expecting to pay for a really good seat. So... after going around and around with her "are you saying that I can't look up tickets online?" etc. I felt so sick of the whole thing that I'm not going unless I happen to win tickets from a radio station (highly unlikely as I can't really listen at work) or one of my boss' friends/contacts gives them to him and he miraculously decided to give them to us in the office and miraculously his two executive assistants think to give them to me rather than putting them up for anyone to take. (I never get those kind of things as RANK in the company matters.) So my Duran Duran concert is dead. ::cue Taps:: Someone going... post and let me know if they play 'Nice.' I love that song.

I have a mental video of that song, Simon on stage looking great... really belting it out and meaning every word and note. ::sigh::

On Easter... yes, even my Easter got messed up. It started well. I slept in. Woohoo. I drug my tush outta bed and into the shower about an hour later than I'd planned. Nice... long... HOT... shower over. My mother jokes about me not leaving her any hot water. I quip back "depends on how fast you are in there." Mom and I go out for Easter breakfast. Spinach quiche, bacon, sausage, mini Belgium waffles, and a vast array of beverages. Yeah! Good start.

Then we stop at the grocery so I can pick up my part of the Easter meal we're having with friends. Mom's too full, so she stays in the car napping in the warmth of the sun. I find the cutest cream colored bunny toy with a Happy Easter balloon in it's arms along with a bag of chocolate eggs. Perfect. Whoops! It has a little dirt on it. So I put it back and grab it's twin.

Well, anyone who knows me knows NOT to let me TOUCH a stuffed toy if I can't buy it. My eyes dart back to the first one I picked up. My over-active imagination telling me that the bunny is hurt that I didn't want it. There are no other bunny toys like it anymore and it was Easter. Into the discount bin tomorrow if no one buys her today. I grabbed it, dusted the dirty spot. It came right off. So I gave one of them to the girl who's house we were cooking and celebrating in. Mom got the balloon. She refused the chocolate, so Maria's husband got it instead. The bunny is cream-colored with pink pads on her feet, a pink nose, pink ribbon bow and pink lined ears. Her big floppy ears! She's got a daisy embroidered on each foot and a felt one tucked between her ears. It causes one to flop forward and the other back. Really cute.

So I grab the stuff the make my famous cheese-herb whipped potatoes and a lovely mixed greens garden salad. And soda. And drinks for the office. And I pay and leave. A lovely uneventful drive gets me to Maria's cozy home. Mom has to work tonight so she heads home in spite of a generous offer to sleep there and have dinner there.

So we play PS3 games for a bit then I drift off to start the ham heating, the potatoes boiling and I throw together the salad. Red onion slices, portobello mushrooms sliced chunky, tiny chips of carrot, some celery, a tiny bit of broccoli and plum tomatoes. Tossed in a ginger sesame dressing. Yum.

I go back and we play more games waiting for our four other people to arrive. Check on the ham. Play. Glaze the ham. Complain that the others are a bit late. Ham's done. whipped potatoes are done. 30 minutes late.... where are they? Maria calls one of them on the phone, Jarhead. Jarhead says he's got a migraine. He's no coming. Er... so he's hung-over and didn't think to call us. NICE.

One of them is at work and will come after work, okay. We knew that. Where's his brother? We don't have his direct line. Joy. The other guest opted not to come when Jarhead told him he wasn't picking him up. Er... we'd have come and got you and taken you home. No, he's going over to his sister's instead. Joy. The guy we were waiting on from work shows up on time for his ETA. Where's your brother? Oh, he called me at work but it was crazy busy. He went to 'insert someone I don't know's name here' to celebrate.

So here's twice as much food as we need, cold as a rock. We pack it all up and he's not hungry yet. And off we go down to the game room to pull out a game and forget the losers who didn't come over. I lose, by one point. :-P

So I get home and think about the Duran Duran concert... I check the seats through the online ordering system. One adult seat in the Right Stage section, Row M, Seat 34 would set me back $120 plus fees. Two adult seats were in the Left Stage section, Row CC, I forget the seats, would set me back $75 a piece plus fees. No way. These are as close to nose bleed as I go. Agh.

So here I am, Monday... ticket-less... Duran Duran-less... ticked off... and finally going back to work.

More insanity later... I'm sure.

Labels: , , , , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger NorthWitch said...

Well, at least it started nice with you breakfast with your mom...

I've had a longer Easter than you, five days, and I can honestly say it's been more stress than the relaxing five days I had hoped for. Oh well, at least I slept till I woke... or rather, till The Empress decided I had slept enough!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Georgia has learned that her waking me up short of clawing me to death will only get me madder than a hornests' nest and I'll roll over, bury myself under covers and go back to sleep.

Instead, she waits until I'm up and moving and then tries to trip me while I'm near her food dish.

She tends to sleep with Mom, Mom seems to be better armored than I am and can ignore the kneading if she's asleep. Not me.

3:15 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

This is why The Empress has her bed on the couch! I have to sleep at night, and there will be NONE of that with her swinging in the curtains! Nope, sleep time is sacred. Sometimes I'm able to tune out her 'meeping' if she starts at, say... 5 am and I don't have to get up for another few hours during my evening week but if she starts only an hour or so before wake-up call, then I'm up. Grumpy and grouchy but up, then I can play with her... No? Oh, coffee...

3:50 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

LOL - I don't get coffee until I'm at work unless I leave early enough to stop at Starbuck's for an over-priced cup of caramel-laced coffee. Or it's generic coffee from the company coffee machine. At least it's fresh, I have to make it for everyone. LOL

Georgia doesn't meep, she yowls like she's got her feet caught in a bear-trap. I always have to check because she does do stupid stuff like get locked IN a cabinet. Only cat on the planet that doesn't think to PUSH on the swingy door to get out. She gets it open enough to get her paw under it... and pulls it shut on herself. ::Sigh::

3:54 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

No yowling, not even a miaow out of The Empress. She meeps, a lot! It's annoying because she really doesn't have any reason to, it's just her complaining that I'm sleeping and not out here giving her attention and playtime during the night. Who needs sleep? Right? I mean, she's sleeping a lot during the day, why can't I?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

We, humans, are deficient that way. Sleep all night when there is valuable play time being wasted. Don't we understand that THEY are awake and so then should we? We are so spoiled.

4:02 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Yep. But I somehow don't think that my team leader's gonna accept my catnap on my desk due to my cat wanting play at night, as opposed to letting me sleep...

They're funny like that...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

LOL - I know. I was fighting dozing off at my desk twice today. Plus, I have a new employee today so I'm getting all sorts of odd requests... so I'm about... to... fall... asl- "Hey? Hi! I need (insert office supply), can you tell me where they are?"

I'm awake! I'm awake!

4:14 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

LOL, well, so long as you don't put your head down on your keyboard for a catnap, you'll be safe. Newbie is busy saving your mitka, be grateful!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

I am. But the people who sit around me were just giggling. Apparently it was funny to watch me slowly going down...

::smack:: WHIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE <- laptop complaining about the weight on the keyboard.

4:31 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Lap top? Oh well...

I have one of those cool wave boards at work, better for my hands... it sits atop my mousetrapper which is better for my hands than a conventional mouse... all this talk about mice, now she's making meeping and hunting sounds again... Joy!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Joy. Go get the colorful ones invading your new toy. This one by the glowing window is already dead. See Witchy batting it around a little? Dead.

4:49 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Well, she's not convinced! She's squeezed herself into my chair next to me now, tight fit but at least my thigh's warmer...

Now she's back on her toy, scratching the hell out of one of the seven scratch posts it provides...

4:54 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

I gotta look into the cost of one of those. Maybe Georgia would like it. She seems to like the little scratching post she's got. But she prefers to sleep on Mom's bed or one of the heat grates.

4:56 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

She needs a climbing and scratching toy, that's an essential! The Empress would have clawed my entire apartment to shreds long ago, if she didn't have these things, not that having them stops her from sinking her claws into the wallpaper...

4:59 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Georgia stretches with the carpet, good lines. I don't mind as I intend to replace it, so go ahead knock yourself out.

But yes, I think she needs one.

5:02 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Carpets, wallpaper, curtains, furniture... If her claws can get hold, she's there... and even if they can't. She's brutal on the inventory here...

5:12 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Empress demands more, newer furniture for her palace. Meep!

5:13 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

What??? All my furniture was brand new, bought for this apartment! Only thin not new is my bed, but I don't want a new bed, I like the one I have... all massive wood and cast iron, what's not to like?

:: Harrumphs ::

5:26 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

I'm cool with the furniture. It's the Empress... she wants new stuff.

Georgia wants me to get my old King or Queen bed back. She misses sleeping with me. My current Full is too small for us both to sleep on without someone trying to hog the bed. She has the claws, she wins when I'm tired.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

New avatar image - old one of Nick Rhodes. ::sigh::

I need to draw a new avatar for use here, don't I?

11:16 AM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Yes, you do need an avatar. I curse the day you made the old one, that you didn't send it to me for safekeeping...

12:47 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

I'll go have fun creating a new one. Chill.

1:03 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Chill? CHILL??? Not while eating grilled cheese sandwiches with hot mustard on...

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home